Irish Whiskey Awards 2019
The Irish Whiskey Awards 2019, which are now in their seventh year, took place this week at the Dingle Distillery in County Kerry.
The awards now span into 21 categories and over the past couple of months, each whiskey category was judged in blind tasting sessions by members of the Celtic Whiskey Club, Irish Whiskey Society – Dublin and Dingle, Cork Whiskey Society, Waterford Whiskey Society, Belfast Whiskey Club and Kilkenny Whiskey Guild. A tall order considering the amount of entries that were received!
Various members of the trade judged the white spirit categories, the whiskey barrel-aged beers and liqueurs in separate tasting sessions.
The evening commenced with a tour of the distillery and drinks reception hosted by the Dingle Distillery co-founders and team.
To our delight, some Midlands Whiskey came up trumps and were awarded some of the top awards. Best New Irish Whiskey went to Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye that was only released in October 2018. Kilbeggan Single Grain took home a Gold Medal in the Best Irish Single Grain Whiskey category and one of our all time favourite whiskeys, Tullamore D.E.W 12-Year-Old Special Reserve took home a shiny Gold too in the Best Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of less than €60/$66).
The full list of winners at the Irish Whiskey Awards 2019 were as follows:
- Best Irish Whiskey of the Year – The Irishman 17-Year-Old
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year – Bowe’s, Dublin
- Best Irish Single Pot Still Whiskey – Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy
- Best Irish Single Malt Whiskey (12 Years & Younger) – Dunville’s PX Cask 12-Year-Old
- Best Irish Single Malt Whiskey (13 Years & Older) – Teeling Brabazon Volume 1
- Best Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of less than €60/$66) – Jameson Black Barre
- Best Irish Blended Whiskey (RRP of €60/$66 or more) – Jameson 18-Year-Old Bow Street
- Best Irish Single Cask Whiskey – The Irishman 17-Year-Old
- Best Irish Cask Strength Whiskey – Redbreast 12-Year-Old Cask Strength
- Best Irish Single Grain Whiskey – Method & Madness Single Grain Virgin Spanish Oak Finish
- Best New Irish Whiskey – Kilbeggan Small Batch Rye
Also honoured were:
- Best Irish Gin – Beara Ocean Gin
- Best Irish Vodka – Lough Ree Zesty Vodka
- Best Irish Poitín – Mad March Hare Poitín
- Best Irish Liqueur – DV8 Gold Cream Liqueur
- Best Irish Whiskey Barrel Aged Irish Craft Beer – Dingle Celebration Stout
Top Irish Whiskey Bars
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Leinster) – Bowe’s, Dublin
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Munster) – Dick Mack’s, Dingle
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Connacht) – Garavan’s, Galway
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (Ulster) – The Duke of York, Belfast
- Best Irish Whiskey Bar of the Year (International) – The Dead Rabbit, New York
Congratulations to all the winners from the Midlands Whiskey Experiences team!